Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Buddha by Osamu Tezuka

This graphic novel took me quite a while to read, perhaps because it was so action packed, but the story line was not poorly constructed. I am a very visual person, so I usually enjoy more pictures than words, but in this case I felt there was SO much action going on both within the plot or within the visuals and it turned me off a little bit as I kept reading it. There would be a few pages without ANY words and it would be a duel or some exciting moment in the story, but the amount of information within the panels is so overwhelming to look at, that I was heavily depending on the text to keep focused. The story itself was not bad, but it was not my favourite at the same time. At first, I thought the woman and sons relationship was a tad strange, just a little too close for comfort. Fortunately, for the majority of this novel, his moms trying to find him so it doesn't get too creepy. I also felt like the plot was a bit all over the place, or possibly just how they set it up within the panels, as there are no transitions. It was just very hard to get into the story itself, because every few minutes you'll get into one part of the plot and then all of a sudden you're viewing his mother on her journey to find her son. I was a little disappointed that both the mother and son died, not to mention TOGETHER. Even though, I wasn't completely satisfied with this story, I still am glad I read it, because it'll broaden my graphic novel horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment