Thursday, November 17, 2011

Persepolis

I absolutely loved the art style of this comic. I think it is very significant that she chose it for her autobiography. It gives a unique look on her life through her own eyes. Marjane Satrapi also wrote a second Persepolis, which I now want to read on my own time, perhaps over break. I think one of my favorite things about this comic was that she had her own beliefs apart from her parents and their protesting. It's nice seeing someone who isn't an adult yet have their own beliefs and strongly back them up. I also thought it was very sad and depressing when her grandmother explained to her that she used to pretend to cook so that their neighbors wouldn't question their wealth, basically. This actually happens to people, so I guess its just a harsh reality that pulls on the heart strings of the readers. Another relatable factor of this book is that she seems to go through many hardships either with her family or she has them to lean onto when in need. I can relate, as I am very close with my family and they have always been there for me when I need them the most. It is nice to hear others stories, especially through this type of visual graphic novel, because we can not only relate, but learn from these stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment